3/7/10

Up In the Air...


Living on an island makes every trip a long one. And I travel a lot...partly because my job requires it, partly because I love to explore so even when I'm on vacation I want to be going someplace. Which is ironic because when I first moved here, I was a real white-knuckle flyer. But I quickly came to realize that I'd be rockbound for life if I didn't get over myself pretty quick. I subsequently developed a Zen approach to flying that has stood me in good stead for well over a million airmiles since.
I loved the movie "Up In the Air". I found George Clooney's character quite relatable. And although I have a lovely home and wonderful partner to come home to, I can still understand the dis-connectedness that comes with spending a lot of time on the fly.

And the obsession with affinity program perks. Making my first million miles with Delta was a really big deal for me. I'll never make 10 million, but each million is quite a milestone. And being greeted by name in the club room is kind of cool too.

I appreciate the "almost home" feeling from staying at the same hotel often enough that the concierge and bellmen know you by name.
And I've picked up some helpful habits along the way (a few of which I was gratified to see practiced by Clooney's character):
1. My favorite scene in the movie was when he trimmed Anna Kendrick's luggage from that huge checked pullman down to a 21" Travelpro. Especially when he trashed her pillow-from-home.

Keep luggage to a minimum. Most of my trips are 4-5 days on the road, so it can be a challenge, but where possible, I keep it to my 2 allowable carryons. Keep the largest of the carry-ons at 21", since that will fit on most all but the tiniest commuter equipment. And if you have to have to check a bag, make sure that you don't take more than you can manage by yourself -- you'll probably have to.

I can't say enough about Travelpro. Lightweight and durable; rolls easily. My test for any bag, checked or carryon, is that I have to be able to comfortably lift the empty bag with just my pinkie finger.

2. Keep valuables and essentials in the smaller of your two carryon pieces just in case the larger one doesn't fit on a commuter leg and has to be gate checked.

3. Never ever ever check laptops, cameras and other electronics, jewelry or prescriptions. Never.
4. Keep your wardrobe simple. Try to pick clothes that can stand double duty -- darker slacks/skirts work best.
For biz trips it's easy. I carry mix/match jackets and pants (pantyhose are a PITA anywhere) with a couple of shells and accent scarves.

For vacations, I choose my travel wardrobe a week in advance and hang the clothes up in the guestroom. Throughout the week I pare it down -- always ending up with less than I started with. Since I began this practice, I never bring a piece of clothing home unworn.
5. Pack your jewelry (in your carryon, duh!). Wear a watch and essentials to the airport, but not much more. It's astonishing how LITTLE metal will set off some TSA scanners. In fact, I usually wear a leather-band watch on the plane.

6. Do I still have to tell you to NOT wear a belt and to wear shoes that don't lace or buckle? You WILL have to remove your shoes at security and if you are spending an eternity getting out of those stunning but skintight stilletto boots to put them in the bin, I'll be leading the lynch mob.

7. Get a zipper-free sleeve for your laptop. Easier for security and more protective.

 
8. Compartmentalize. I use the Eagle Creek packing cubes and find that they give me multiple advantages:
  • Security can check my stuff without touching my stuff;
  • I can put my stuff in hotel drawers without my stuff actually touching the drawers (don't ask...you don't really want to know) and
  • It's really easy for me to find everything and make sure that I have everything I need.

9. If you travel more than once a year, please invest in a small luggage scale. Know how much you'e got BEFORE you get to the airport. There is absolutely NOTHING more pathetic (or annoying) than standing in line behind someone who is now frantically repacking their bags to avoid surcharges.

 
10. Toys rock! Toys make long trips bearable, delays tolerable and average jaunts positively delightful. My must-haves (fully charged, of course!):
  • Smartphone (for checking flight status, weather, business -- it's indispensable);
  • iPod (with tunes and TV shows - movies are difficult on that little screen if you're over 40) -- accessorized with a little awesome speaker for the hotel room and a patchcord to hook it up to my rental car -- just $10 at BestBuy;
  • Kindle (a veritable library at my fingertips...my reading tends to be mood driven, and I can't possibly drag enough books along to anticpate what I'll have an appetite for at any given time) and
  • My ever present camera. Never know when that amazing once in a lifetime photo might present itself.

 

 
11. About "fully-charged" -- iGo is the best thing since sliced bread. One charging cord and converter with the appropriate little tiny adapter tips will let me charge every single device I carry.

 
Reducing both bulk and weight for a minimal expense -- HOORAY!! -- and the splitter I got lets me charge 2 devices at once.  I also have an attachment that lets me charge in the car.

 
(The case was Deb's -- it's the only piece of Coach that I own.) 
I also keep a spare headset and a couple of adapters in there for use with the airline's on board entertainment.

 

 12. If you fly more than a couple of times a year, it's well worth joining frequent flyer (and sleeper) programs and managing the points. Otherwise it's almost like throwing money away.

  
 13. Go online and get your seat assignments when you book the flight. http://www.seatguru.com/is a great website that shows you the size, location and desirablilty of the seats on every imaginable aircraft.

   

 Then check those seats periodically up until your departure. Sometimes there are equipment changes that turn your 10th row aisle into a 42nd row middle in the blink of an eye. 
14. When you board the plane, remember that there are people behind you and sitting all around. Especially if you are wearing a backpack. In fact, if you have a backpack, take it off and carry it in front of you for boarding. Smacking a fellow passenger in the face with your luggage is not the best way to begin your travels. Karma is slow, but inevitable. 
15. In fact, throughout your travels, remember all the same courtesies and practical matters you would normally think about at home. It's astonishing how many travelers appear to leave their brains (and manners) behind -- especially when they are on vacation.
16. Patience and a sense of humor are the most prized travel accessory. Stuff happens, and the more you take it in stride, the more pleasant travel becomes for you. Remember, especially when all is going wrong, that the smile you give the gate agent may be the first smile they've had all day. That alone makes it worthwhile.

  
I'll be back with photos, and more. What have you learned in your travels?

  
17. Best travel accessory site, with great travel tips? It's http://www.magellans.com/store/catalog?Args= by far.

  
18. Many airlines have stopped providing pillows and blankets. Some for economic reasons, others for health. I haven't used them in years, preferring to bring my own substitute: pashmina scarves. They fold down to nothing (fit in my purse) and can be very warm and comfy. Plus, they are lovely accessories to your outfit and if you find yourself in unexpectedly cold weather at your destination (or points in between) they give you that extra warmth

  
 19. I found out years ago that life was so much easier if all my travel docs were in one place...ID, affinity program cards, boarding passes, a spare $20 just in case, and amenity vouchers.  I got this pretty blue one ages ago at the Levengers' outlet store for a song.  Loved the color -- apparently I was the only one.

  
20. My latest small carryon -- it's a Lug with lots of compartments and zippers. I recently lost a Bluetooth earpiece because I was using an open ended bag. Never again.

  
Remember that I've been accumulating this stuff (by trial and error) for almost 15 years.

 
 Back with more:

  
21. TSA's http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/screening_experience.shtm website has great easy to follow information on security regs (which DO change and are therefore worth monitoring. The key thing to keep in mind is 3-1-1. No more than
  • 3   oz bottles, all in a
  • 1   qt sized ziploc bag, with
  • 1   such bag per person.

   I can get a fair number of 3oz bottles and tubes (toothpaste counts) in that bag -- and don't forget that hotels have shampoo/conditioner, lotion and mouthwash, so you don't really need most of that stuff.

 
22.  More on luggage -- the only thing that keeps me from being as hooked on luggage as I am on acquiring shoes is the sheer size and storage issues.  But I love a good piece of luggage.  For me, the expression "Love ya like my luggage" carries some real weight. 

For my vacations, I eschew my workhorse roll-aboard and use a great little convertible wheeled backpack.  It rolls like a dream, but if I'm in a pinch and need that extra hand, voila! - the straps come out and it's a backpack.

34 comments:

Modern Hippie said...

love this post! especially since its 3am and numerous sleeping pills later, prenisone is leaving me wide awake. sigh.

anyways, i havent seen 'up in the air' yet but i was reminded about it during the oscars tonight. my uncle travels ALL the time (overseas flights almost every 2 weeks and then is gone for about 2-3 weeks each stay. he works for boeing and he said the same thing you did, kind of, he said its really enjoyable if you are a flyer he fears if someone isnt a flyer they may not get the whole movie..)

i try and map out of my clothes for vacations but I just cant know what im going to feel in the mood to wear that day, i'm not ridiclous though my suitcase is never overweight but i do bring clothes that i end up not wearing.

I just booked (well my dad did lol) our flight to new orleans for my 21st bday so im reading all this as mental notes for when the time comes! (although my dad is a VIP flyer and im not too naive to the system i believe you have better insight)

i always learned to never pack your bathing suit (say for tropical swim vacations in case they loose your luggage and then you cant go swimming like everyone else.)

i definitley know about not checking any of that stuff!

i HATE traveling with all my prescriptions, since you have to travel with the original prescription bottles in plastic ziploc bags (which takes me 2 big freezer bags) i feel so judged since im so young. i remember when i visited my sister in california i got a lot of curious/strange looks. i almost wish people would ask instead assuming im maybe smuggling or addicted LOL

i actually just put my luggage on our normal scale (that we use to weigh ourselves) if your too close to the limit (even if its under) shave a few things since its probably not correct. but i know how you feel! my sister is one of these unpack travelers and its horrible to just think she does it (ive never been with her for it.)

our flight iternery(sp its too late to think properly for spelling) for new orleans is quite the ordeal we fly from seattle to atlanta from atlanta to louisana but on the way back its louisiana, atlanta, portland, and seattle. FULL days travel so im hoping i have enough things to keep me occupied on the plane. i dont have a smart phone or a kindle but i will have my ipod, sketching stuff, books and probably cards and such since ill be traveling with my mom and dad (and maybe others who are undecided about the trip so far)

dad has MVP status and I love it, however, he didnt tell me how to use it so when i traveled on my own i didnt quite understand it (like cutting everyone in line because I was MVP, it just seemed rude so i just stood their waiting lol)

im never picky about seats and since its mom, dad, and i i'm sure we are all together probably in a row of 3

you know what i hate about travelers? when they stop and hold up the line to put away their luggage. put it away after everyones done getting on, its really rude. whats also rude is when your getting off the plane and people dont let you out or try and help you get your bags out from above its actually poor plane design but what are you gonna do. -- they should have a brief time to allow people just to grab bags and then start letting you get off.

Modern Hippie said...

some people are just really stressful travelers, i never mind if my plane is delayed or takes awhile for take off, some people get so pissed about it - i personally love airports for some reason so im always content.

ive worked in the travel industry though and there are definitley just some people, who dont know how to vacation.

i think the most important thing is to seem apperciative to all employees - the people who check you in, the flight attendants, if only for the fact that you know so many other people have not only ignored them but have been rude to them.

also p.s. if you are in some kind of program where you get automatic upgrades to first class and you see that a solider is going to be on your flight, if you dont take that upgrade the airline will give the solider the first class seat - i actually learned that on error (dad not telling me how to use his MVP status) but i was perfectly fine knowing it went to a solider, and the solider was so greatful he was beaming from ear to ear like he just won the lottery!

IslandPearl said...

I've been able to do that with an upgrade before, and it feels great. With the number of bases here, my HNL legs are always full of active duty soldiers. God bless them.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the seat you're relinquishing won't go to the next highest FF behind you in the upgrade queue, though. :(

Traveling for a non-profit, my upgrade opportunities are few and far between these days anyway. The airlines try to fly as full as possible, and you can't upgrade from the lowest fares, which is what I'm required to book.

I don't feel at all guilty boarding (or going through TSA) in the fast lane. I earn it.

One Sunday evening I was headed to AK on business and when I got to the point where the 'Gold Lane' merged into the longer standard line, this (obviously touristy) guy they put me in front of said to his wife...quite loudly..."What do you have to do to butt in line like that?!?"

I turned to him and said, in my most gentle and polite voice, "You have to spend a lot of Sunday nights sleeping on an airplane headed to work instead of enjoying a homecooked meal with your loved ones."

equeyaya said...

I haven't read all your comments yet, because I'm getting sleepy (sorry Kylee, not rubbing your nose in the no sleep thing, lol!), but I love all your tips, pearl.

I check Magellan frequently because you recommended it a while back. And I love the pashmina idea, they do take up no space.

I have a small ipod speaker unit that I bring on trips with me that I love.

I also bring an inflatable neck pillow (eagle creek) for long flights.

I haven't traveled as much as you, but with every trip I get smarter about what to pack and packing less.

Once the girls are completely on their own, I think I might look into a new career that involves international travel. ;-)

IslandPearl said...

Oh -- thanks for reminding me -- I have a great little speaker that weighs practically nothing and has great sound.

MH -- I'm so sad that you are having insomnia. I went through a bout of that years ago and it was miserable.

Have you tried yoga or behavior modification? Worked for me. Pills just made it worse.

jojo cucina cucina said...

Oh, this is perfect timing. Thank you pearl! I am going to come back to this before i leave for Sedona. I have no idea what the new rules are since it's been 2003 when i last flew on an airplane.

My prescription for Xanax came in the mail today from my doctor ao i am getting ready. I don't bring too many clothes on a vacation because i can wear the same thing twice since it's unlikely anyone would ever know.

I worry about my carry on though.

P.S. It's amazing to me you used to be a white knuckle flyer. I guess if i flew more often i would probably get over the fear because then it becomes familiar. And i believe my phobia has more to do with unfamiliarity than it does with flying, if that makes sense. Because once i'm in the air for a few hours i'm fine. (as long as the turbulence isn't too bad).

Anyway, thanks for the good info! I needed it.

IslandPearl said...

I was thinking about you and MH, jo, when I came up with this idea for a post.

I'm praying that your trip to Sedona is so marvelous that you immediately sign up to go to NO with MH!!

equeyaya said...

Ooh you added photos! I like your compartmentalized carrying, and I've been wanting to get one of those passport carriers.

equeyaya said...

Oops- carry ON, not carrying!

Modern Hippie said...

you are very right about not knowing the solider would get your upgrade, i would be really bummed if i thought i was giving my upgrade to a solider and found out another VIP got it.

oh i dont feel guilty about going through the fast VIP lanes, I just didnt know how to go about it. I love your response to that guy, i hope he said envious and not like a bastard.

ah the insomnia, its from the prednisone, i'm very used to it. there were times when I used to be on 60mg that I wouldnt sleep for days (i remember going 42 hours once, and oddly enough I was the most energized i could have possibly been and this was after sleeping pills!) i love sleeping pills though they help me, (usually) definitley dont hurt me. but i've always had problems sleeping even before the prednisone and lupus. i do do yoga (in my living room on my own, i used to do classes) i definiltye sleep better on a really busy day (when i worked full time and did school full time i NEVER had problems sleeping, haha!)

jojo just know the 3oz rule! you cant have any liquids or lotions (anything similar to a liquid) thats over 3 oz so dont loose good hair product. you can also look online for all the rules, TSA website is really clear. (also all prescrptions, like your xanax have to be in the original bottle in a transparent bag (like a ziploc) in your carry-on you put them in a seperate bin when going through security.)

you know whats funny? my friend Fanny (who is from France and now lives here because she married an american) flys ALL the time (usually back and forth from france, but also vacationing) has becoming a worse flyer as time has gone on and its not cause she was ever on a bad flight or anything, how weird huh? shes going to look into hypnosis because she didnt like being drugged up last time lol

yeah Jo - you are without FB and have been sick did you hear - NEW ORLEANS IS OFFICALLY BOOKED! =D i'm not holding my breath for you to come though, i know its not your scene :) haha

IslandPearl said...

Thanks E -- the carry-on's a "lug". Found it at Wilson's in the Minneapolis airport last week.

MSP has an awesome shopping area -- almost a mall within the airport.

I always try for long (reasonable) layovers, especially when traveling in the winter, to leave a cushion for contingencies. Well worth it when I can kill the time by shopping!!

It's a quilted water repellant exterior with a waterproof interior. Even has a waterbottle pocket inside. I love it!

bop said...

What a great topic, Pearl! I used to hate to fly but I like you realized I truly wanted to GO so many places I just had to get over myveryownself! Hubby and I travel a lot and when I retire, I hope we do a lot more of it.

I think I pack well, but your ideas are awesome. I will return and take notes for future travel. Tell me if you've ever had problems with flight attendents about reading your Kindle on the plane. Daughter said a Delta flight attendent just about grabbed it out of her hands to turn it off. Daughter tried to tell her she was reading a book that had already been downloaded but apparently the woman had no clue. I hope daughter complained to Delta, because like you, daughter has to travel a lot for work.

Keep gathering those frequent flyer points, Pearl. I know you and your beloved are going to get some fine vacation travel using them!

IslandPearl said...

I get ya! Trying to explain how a kindle works to the flight attendants is like explaining chess to a polar bear -- impossible, frustrating and at the end of the day quite pointless.

I honestly believe that the singular reason for their insistance that all devices be shut off on takeoffs and landings is so that it will be just that much easier to catch your attention should the need arise.

I'm no engineer, but it just doesn't seem possible that even a confluence of cell phones or laptops online could possibly generate a dangerous degree of interferenct.

jojo cucina cucina said...

You are awesome to give me Travel 101 tips like this. I also saved them into a Word file called "Travel Tips by pearl" so i can print them out. As it gets closer to me leaving i may come and ask some questions.

for example, do i have to keep my medications in their original bottle? The reason i ask is i always have two metropol pills for emergency in saran wrap in my purse. I do NOT want to take the whole bottle because it takes up room. Plus i have 5 little Xanax pills and they put them in a larger than normal size prescription bottle and it seems stupid to take up all that room for 5 little pills.

You enlarged your window seat photo! I forgot to tell you how much i liked that photo! It could be the cover photo of Up in the Air.

equeyaya said...

Another thing to keep in mind with international travel is it is always WAY more of a hassle coming back into the US than leaving it. Much more scrutiny of the luggage and carryon's and layers of security to wade through. And that's when I'm tired and get sloppier about packing.

Coming back from Japan, Grace bought keychains that were tiny samurai swords for her friends, and we didn't think to put them in the checked luggage and they were taken.

Then I did the same thing AGAIN coming back from Turkey, only this was a bona fide knife in a sheath that I bought for Grace. The domestic flight in Turkey let me move it from my carryon to checked (they caught it on the xray before we checked our bags). But flying home from Istanbul, they saw it in the checked bag and pulled me aside and asked me a ton of questions. My friends still haven't let me live that one down.

IslandPearl said...

Eque -- that cracked me up! although I can imagine how frustrating it was for you...

Jo, I don't know that I would sweat the prescription thing so much for a domestic trip. I only make sure to have the prescription handy when I'm going overseas. Customs pays attention to that kind of stuff. TSA couldn't care less.

I can see where MH would have concerns just due to shear volume of scrips (my sister did), but just for the odd pill or five I don't give it a thought.

TSA is looking for stuff that could be used to inflict harm on others.

Like Dread Pirate Barbara's machete(s). LOL

Modern Hippie said...

haha poor eque i would be so pissed when things got taken away after i paid money for them.

yeah im definitley sketchy when it comes to traveling with my pills i want to go exactly by the rules - which TSA does say you have to travel with your original bottles in the plastic bags on your carry on - i just figure i look suspciious being so young with so many pills that i dont want to take any chances. TSA has never even batted an eye at me and my pills or even ever looked at the bottles but better safe than sorry! even if it does take me 2 big freezer ziploc bags of pills to carry and take up space in my carry on haha

Jennifer said...

This is such a great post, Pearl! Great tips! I do a lot of them already, but I'm moving more and more every trip to your way of traveling. And I smiled many times in recognition during Up in the Air.

I'm all about:

- valuables with me at all times. (covers the checking laptop etc. as well.) Not only do you want to keep it from being damaged in transit, but if there is some kind of delay, you have it on you.

- I have several pair of shoes I call my "airline shoes" Comfy, and easy to slip off and one. I never worry about taking off metal, and have never had the detector go off when I go through. Don't do as I do, though. Better to travel as metal-less as possible.

- LOVE eagle creek. I have all kinds of cubes.

- iPhone takes care of lots.. phone, iPod, Internet, email, etc. Best way to pare down that I know of. :)

You've mentioned IGo before and I MUST check this out and get me my latest new toy!

Brilliant stuff, Pearl!

MH, you are going to LOVE New Orleans if you haven't already been. I have two nephews who live there. Oh, and I also have a friend who is a frequent flier and suddenly became horrified of flying. Took some work but she's back on the other side now. Strange how the mind and body can work sometimes.

JoJo, how exciting that you are going to Sedona. You'll do great and have a fabulous time.

Eque, I have also added a small speaker to my shopping list! Great idea!

equeyaya said...

gotta have music! it charges your ipod, too.

IslandPearl said...

I totally get you about the 'airport shoes'. I also have travel pants (elastic waists) and travel shirts (l/s with chest pockets for iPod, phone and earphones). OCD? Not me!

jojo cucina cucina said...

Ok, already i have decided about the shoes for my trip (which is next Saturday). I WAS going to wear my super comfortable Simple brand shoes which are blue but tie up. So now i'm opting for my super comfortable Cole Hahn slips on mules.

I remember reading somewhere about a guy talking about flight security and dangers and saying he cringed at watching people board planes in flip flops because if the plane had even a small crash they would lost their shoes and have to navigate the wreckage in barefeet. Somehow that stuck with me and made me think i need shoes that will stay on my feet.

but seriously, if the plane crashes i would be in such shock if i survived walking on broken glass wouldn't make a difference anyway.

this is only my second plane trip since Nine Eleven.

Modern Hippie said...

haha that is such a weird thought; after a plane crash the thing your most worried about is being barefoot going through wreckage? I think i would still prefer flip flops.

i think people who wear boots when flying are stupid. if you have to stop and sit down to put your shoes back on and it takes you more than a minute or two - you are stupid.

IslandPearl said...

My "plane shoes" are loafers. For comfort. Easy to slip on and off.

Sandals are comfortable too, but I find that my feet get really cold, especially if I'm in my coveted exit row seat.

I always feel sorry for the workmen I fly with on my AK trips. They have these huge workboots that are easier to wear than pack, and bless em they usually have them already mostly unlaced as they approach TSA. You just know they'd be in loafers or sneaks if they could.

Then there are the airhead fashionistas who look quite stylish in their stupidity.

Jo, wouldn't the prospect of air travel be less daunting if you focused less on the statistically remote potential of catastrophe?

There's a great deal of freedom to be discovered in living in the moment.

jojo cucina cucina said...

LOLOL.... there is no doubt. i HAVE to stop focusing on air travel catastrophes. it's funny that i remember about what that guy said years ago about shoes, but i can't remember any rules about the packing. (I do plan to live in the moment this Saturday.....hence, the Xanax.And i have to say i've not been overthinking this trip so much as i have in the past where i worried days and days before getting on a plane).

I think my iPod will help. Here is how long it has been since i have flown: iPods were not the norm back then. In fact i seem to remember people having disc players and wished i had thought of that. But nobody had an iPod.

i am not really a neurotic person by nature, and even when i'm overly anxious, most people wouldn't even know it because i don't get freaky or crying about it, i just get quiet. (which for me is freaky, if you know me, cause i'm not quiet.)

i just don't like what is unfamiliar. if i flew like you did pearl, (or like my brother, ms. hippie's Dad), i would probably never ever give it a second thought.

For me it's the unfamiliar, AND maybe a little bit of the claustrophic thingie and feeling trapped under someone else's (the pilot's) control that makes me uneasy.

It's a reason i don't like going out on other people's boats. I am not afraid of going out on boats and because i am a good swimmer i am not even afraid of the water. It's the feeling of being trapped in someone else's territory for a long period of time of which i have no say.

I think that is the crux of my anxiety. control issues. I'm such a walking cliche.

IslandPearl said...

If you are a Buddhist, it's zen.

If you are Christian, it's "let go and let God"

Either way it is recognizing that the flight is simply a means to an end, and the end is worth it.

What are you going to do/see/experience in Sedona?

jojo cucina cucina said...

we are hooking up with some good friends who live in Steilacoom nearby us most of the time and then live in Phoenix during our bad winter months.

So we're staying with them for one night and then driving to Sedona to stay at the Briar Patch in on Oak Creek. We are taking our cameras and backup hard drives and extra memory cards and DVDs. We'll be taking lots of photos! (We aren't bringing our flyrods.)

We will be driving to see the Grand Canyon (it's a day trip - two hour drive). I have never seen the Grand Canyon except in movies or postcards!

i am also planning a massage out by the creek that our place offers.

i have studied your notes and i think you would be proud of my packing!

And no, i am not bringing my pillow! LOL.

jojo cucina cucina said...

lol, kylee i just notice how you spelled 'soldier' in your earlier post.

Ok, I put most stuff in my checked luggage and didn't really bring THAT many clothes so all my bathroom stuff fits in there just fine, including the blow dryer. No I find that I don't have much in my carry on.

My camera doestn' take much room since i'm not bringing my extra lenses. So i went and added another book and a light jacket. That didn't take much room either, so i added a pair of flat sandals, and went ahead threw in a couple of brand new pair of underpants and one shirt and tank top. Tomorrow i will add my newly charged iPod and netbook and i think that will be good. Right now it weighs only 14 pounds so i think i'm good.

(My sister and i went on vacation to San Diego back in the early 90's and Alaska Airlines lost our luggage on the trip over. We got it back the next day, but it scared me. so just in case i like to add some clothes. And like you ms hippie, i have always carried my swim suit since then, (though not this time since I'm not bringing it.)

IslandPearl said...

I hope that you have a smooth flight and uneventful transit, so that this will be the first of many many many trips to come.

It's a big beautiful world out there, jo. Well worth the trouble.

Modern Hippie said...

disclosure warning: i am under the inflience of my ambien and it seems quite strong right now so just fyi dont judge me haha

did i spell solider wrong jo? how do you spell it ? llol

i don tthink your carry on has a weifht limit just a size limit it has to fit through the box scanner lol

i always make sure to pack extra clothes and such in my carry on when i was younger and i got motion sick i usuaully ended up throwing p on my outfotd so i needed a nother set, i one time remember landing in hawaii wearing my pj shirt which had sheep in tubs saying "ruba dub dub"

yeah you have to pack your carryon as abackup failure for what happened to your real suitcase.

i hjave no idea if ANY of this is making ANY seanse im goni gt o read back tomorrow because ervrutnong is jst really blurryu.

if it makes no ense i have full intenton of recorrecting anything that makde no esne hahha

i think its time i get off no whahaha

now i just have to had thats its taken me like 20 times to try and publish this comment but the stupid capatcha! haha uhh

Modern Hippie said...

i agree pearl!! i think pearl is the only one of us lucky enough to travel so much!!

i dont because of time and money, money mostly.

but jojo you could totally travel!! especially when you have that summer break of yours. maybe someday actually go over to italy!you have the money and the time i think you should plan on italy this year!

jojo cucina cucina said...

why i will be taking Xanax: i woke up at 3 am last night because i had a dream. I won't bore y'all with the details but it involved a plane flying very very very low. (At least it was flying AWAY from me and not towards me.)

I couldn't get back to sleep for two hours.

IslandPearl said...

You are incorrigible jo. I give up.

And just a suggestion MH, but wouldn't those ambien work better if you turned the computer off and laid down in the dark?

Seriously -- your eyes can't 'see' it, but the screen on your computer flickers. Your brain picks that up as a stimulus and "needs" to process it so it struggles to remain alert. Give it a break.

No wonder you can't sleep. Step. Away. From. The. Computer.

Modern Hippie said...

oh i wasnt having problems sleeping last night but i took my ambien right before i signed off the computer (it takes about 30 minutes to kick in) and i was finishing up checking my email and it ended up taking longer than 30 minutes which is why i was posting under the influence haha

i went to bed right away after that.

~ T (grits) ~ said...

Hi Pearl!! I finally found you agin. I dont know why but I had your old blog you dont write on anymore, on my blog list.

Awesome tips - someone should publish this!