3/26/10

Why I prefer Facebook to blogging

I started a lovely post about our waterfall (see text below) including a video because the sound of it is even more pleasant than the appearance.

I had just posted 2 such videos to my facebook page and it took less than 5 minutes start to finish to accomplish the task. So I thought, how hard would it be to put this video on my blog??

Answer: Damn near impossible.

I got it uploaded but over an hour later it was still "processing the video", so I shut it down and went to bed. Started over this morning...left it run while I cooked breakfast started a load of laundry and cleaned up the kitchen. Still not "processed".

So, here are some photos, but if you want to see/hear a video of my damn lovely waterfall, you'll just have to "friend" me on facebook!











Here's the back story:

When we went to China last year, we toured the YuYuan Gardens in Shanghai and fell in love with the place.

I casually -- casually, mind you -- mentioned to my husband that we should put a waterfall in our backyard. Within a month after we returned, there were people digging holes and moving giant rocks and Bob's yer uncle...we had a backyard waterfall!!

My only stipulation was that they couldn't disturb my lovely Haden mango tree or the indigenous plants (aka pretty weeds) growing around it.

It makes a lovely soothing sound -- so soothing in fact, that I'm usually sound asleep 10 minutes after sitting down out there.

It has good chi. I'm happy.

9 comments:

Modern Hippie said...

it is REALLY easy to share photos and videos on facebook which is why i love it too

i love your waterfall! it seems peaceful and serene and you're already in Hawaii so it's almost not fair! I love the little buddha. I'm a big fan of buddha statues -- from a religious or non-religious point of view everyone should have a buddha. haha.

IslandPearl said...

My husband brought that particular Buddha back from one of his business trips to Singapore. Since he logged a lot of miles in the Far East before he retired, we have a pretty Asian decor.

And believe me, I know just how lucky I am to have a rainbow on my drivers license!

equeyaya said...

I can't upload video on facebook or blogger. I think it's a memory issue or something.

I upload my videos on youtube and then link them to facebook or my blog.

your waterfall is beautiful! i love the buddha, too!

Modern Hippie said...

usually facebook is really easy to upload videos! thats weird equeyaya!

i think when i put videos on my blog though i uploaded them from youtube as well

might be your alterntaive, pearl.

IslandPearl said...

Nah...I'll stick to stills here. That's how I started. It's my real medium.

jojo cucina cucina said...

pearl! please don't give up your blog until i am forced by my work to get a Facebook account.

I love your waterfall. I am assuming it was your husband who put the wheels in motion to get it going? How cool!

Brian put up a video on my blog of my flycasting last summer. And while I don't know he did it i'm assuming he might be able to show me if i wanted to learn. I just leave that stuff to him most times because he a wiz at that stuff.

I feel pretty good when i can go into my blog and resize the YouTube video in the HTML crap.

IslandPearl said...

Come on jo...get on the bandwagon. Try FB...you'll like it.

jojo cucina cucina said...

pearl, i just know i WILL love Facebook. I will love it too much and won't want to do anything else but hang on Facebook three or four hours every day! That's my fear. That i will love it too much.

bop said...

I want a waterfall, too!! But, I'm gonna need your hubby to do it! I've been "hinting" for years.

Still no facebook for me, so thanks for posting what you do here!