11/8/09

When you live in Paradise, why travel?



I'm frequently asked where people who live in Hawaii go for vacation. These days, frankly most don't. And a stay-cation here is pretty awesome, all things considered.


But I do love to travel -- even though my job has me on the road (in the air) about 20% of my time. I love to explore new places, to see places I've only read about or seen in movies/TV. And I find that now, having been to a lot of places, seeing them or reading about them is even more fun than before. I will even admit to buying the book '1000 Places to See Before You Die' and flagging them as I go. Doin pretty good so far.


Travel is our big splurge. We don't live in a fancy house, and while our cars are nice, we also tend to keep them for 10 years at a stretch. I don't do designer clothes. But we try to take a major trip a year. We started doing that right after we married, and I finished chemo. I think it was the latter that motivated us -- appreciation for every minute we are given in this life, and refusing to put off enjoyment of that life until some vague tomorrow. Even during stretches where the means were thinner, we've found a way.


I like approaching the world like a buffet - so many different tastes to sample, so little time. That's why we tend to prefer cruises...unpack once and have the hotel follow us around. We've covered an awful lot of ground that way. And there are places that we have merely touched that we would like to return to for more exploration. Some day. After more tours to the unknown.


My friend eque does the more in-depth travel, taking wonderful trips on horseback in exotic locales. I love reading about her trips and seeing her pictures, because I know that it would not be for me personally, but I enjoy the vicarious experience.


It's a little like food -- some are grazers, always looking for the next dish. Others enjoy the lavish meal, savoring each morsel. But in either case, it's nourishing.


My favorite trip of all that we have taken to date is still our Vietnam tour in 2004 (pictures posted elsewhere on this blog). I arranged, over the internet, a private tour, with a driver and guide. We rode around that beautiful country from the Mekong Delta in the far south to Hanoi and Halong Bay in the north. To see the peaceful countrysides and industrious cities that I had previously associated with (needless) war and destruction was a revelation. It left me changed forever. In a good way.


I'm really blessed to have had the confluence of desire, means and ability to have had these experiences. And I eagerly look forward to the next trip.

6 comments:

jojo cucina cucina said...

pearl, i think it was the Anthony Bourdain, the Kitchen Confidential guy and Reservations TV guy who said Vietnam was his favorite place.

I am finally going to do something about my travel phobia. And I figure this was the year to do something about it.

So Brian and i are looking at traveling to Sedona to recover from the the dreary rainy gray months in early spring and get some sun. I have found a few places i like already.

Sedona does have some great flyfishing but in early spring it might be too early, but we don't care, we'll turn it into a photography trip instead.

I might NOT even get my Xanax prescription filled either! I have not been on a plane for i think 7 years when we went to Santa Fe.

We're looking to find a place to go for a very long vacation in our retirement years (and maybe before) where we can leave home for three months and rent a sunny place somewhere that is affordable.

so if you know anything about Sedona, let me know!

I think everyone needs to see the Grand Canyon while we're alive and well.

IslandPearl said...

I'm so thrilled to hear you say this!!! I understand that travel isn't your thing, but I just know that once you get past that block, you'll LOVE it.

I don't know if I ever told you, but up until I'd lived out here for about 3 years, I was a total white-knuckle flyer. Never took tranqs, but was just tied in knots for the day before and all during. I was miserable.

Moving to an island in the middle of the Pacific put things in perspective for me -- realized that I'd never get off the 'Rock' unless I got over the angst.

I just developed a Zen approach to the whole thing, surrounding myself with comforts -- music, reading material, whatever (for a while there was a tiny teddy bear in my carry on just in case).

Just staying in the moment makes all the difference in the world for me.

Now it doesn't even phase me.

I don't know anything about Sedona except that it is supposed to hold some pretty intriguing energy if you are into such things. It's on my list -- some day Bud and I want to tour the parks of this country (not camping though...more bus tour/comfy hotel style.) We figure that when we get beyond the 20-30 hour transit times, we'll start doing the closer to home stuff.

Step out in faith, jo...I'll be your biggest cheerleader!

equeyaya said...

Jo, my friend Holly has been to Sedona (and loves it). I'll see what she can tell me.

Pearl, I feel the same as you do about traveling! It's my extravagance of choice! That, and my daughters, of course. And I especially enjoy it with my cowgirl friends - no whiny baby stuff when things go wrong, just great food, good wine, and lots of laughter. I treasure every experience.

And I hope to venture down your way one of these days!

IslandPearl said...

My door is always open to you -- with a cup of Kona or class of Prosecco at the ready.

equeyaya said...

:)

jojo cucina cucina said...

http://www.briarpatchinn.com/cabins.php?Oriole-10

http://www.briarpatchinn.com/index.php?sedona-cabins-in-oak-creek-canyon-6


I love researching almost anything. (I do not know what i did with my life before the Internet and Google.) Anyway, i've been researching Sedona and i found a place i like. (eque, I like where Holly stayed too but i think for the same money i can get a whole cabin that is super cool with a kitchen for the same price on Oak Creek. )

So i'm looking at these places in the link above. I like any of the ones with a full kitchen and king bed.

I hope we can go when it's flyfishing weather. But like i said if not, we'll go on a photo shoot instead.