Now, in my own defense, my need for the Western-style 'throne' is purely physiological...I simply cannot easily arise from a squatting position. Simply stated: weak knees + fat ass. And since the women in my travels are for the most part strangers, and would frown on my husband coming in to help me up....there you have it.
Fortunately, our guides have always been most helpful in identifying 'acceptible' facilities. In China, we had a rating system:
5-Star: clean, Western 'throne', toilet paper, seat covers
4-Star: clean, Western 'throne', toilet paper
3-Star: clean, Western 'throne'
I never went below 3-Stars. I do carry my own travel kit of seat covers and travel TP (after a particularly traumatic experience in Moscow years ago).
I asked our guide if they (the guides) all thought that all of we female Western tourists (a) had extraordinarily weak bladders because we were always taking advantage of stops and (b) were incredibly picky. He politely dodged the question.
Here's a shot taken in a 4-Star. It isn't particularly well composed, because when you are taking a photograph inside a ladies restroom it's best to start with a vacant one and take the shot really fast, lest someone come in and think you a pervert.
The sign on the right means 'for mom's - has changing table'. The next is, of course, the 'Western throne' and rest are all the more traditional 'squat' toilets.
To be fair, they were all quite clean...everywhere we went. And I really think that we're being the picky ones. And I totally appreciate the fact that other societies are indulging us our weakness.
And I'm still peeved that men don't even have to think about this stuff!!!!!
5 comments:
pearl! this is so funny!
i didn't give much thought to what our "accommodations" will be in japan. i wonder if i should prepare grace for this possibility or let her discover it on her own.
as a riding vacation veteran, i am accustomed to squatting in the woods, so can adapt to most situations. although my knees are beginning to complain more than they used to.
taking photos here! we've been fortunate so far to have western options!
LOLOLOL... I have to admit that there is some eerily artsy and cool about that photograph, pearl!
I carry seat-covers and kleenex too. And Germ-X! I detest porty-potties. But I spose it's better than squatting over poison ivy or snakes or something!!
I agree Jo - that pic is eerily artsy & cool...LOL
Chuckle...trust me...we do think about it. When you've eaten some bad fruit, you'd like the amenities, but at some point, I've found that I'll use whatever is available.
Post a Comment