10/9/10

Blues on the Bay



My dad was fascinated by planes. He wanted to go into the Army Air Corps at the outset of WWII, but he was too young and my grandmother refused to sign the waiver. Didn't stop him from going to war though. But practical matters intervened and he never actively pursued that dream of flight.

What he did do, however, was take us to the airport of a Sunday afternoon, to watch the planes take off and land. It was (still is) a tiny little metro airport, so there wasn't much traffic, but we sat and waited with him.

And once ever 5 years or so, the Blue Angels would come near the area and we'd drive to Lakeland or Orlando for the airshow. And because I live where I do, and because he fostered that distant fascination in me too, I go to see them whenever they fly into town.

The planes have changed, and I'm even less interested in the static displays than ever, but I still love the beautifully choreographed demonstration of raw power, precision and skill.

Of course, now we spring for the nice "Top Brass" awning, with grandstand seats along the flightline, but the thrill is the same.



Just because I was married to a stereotypically egotistical pilot for far too long doesn't diminish my admiration for the ones who strap a rocket to their ass for a living.

And I get the whole carbon footprint thing, but the roar of those engines totally drowns out the "budget-dollars-wasted-on-the-military" whine for me.

And next time they roar over Oahu, I'll be right on the flightline.

3 comments:

equeyaya said...

I love the interplay of the light and the exhaust in your photo, pearl. My parents used to take us to the Blue Angels Air Show at Willow Grove when we were kids. And during my NASCAR phase, we always got a thrill at the flyover before the race.

It's cool that you can call up those memories with your dad.

Katrina said...

Fab photographs. I've seen the British version, the Red Arrows doing a fly past but I haven't got around to going to an air show yet.
I live near the RAF airbase in Leuchars,Fife but the thought of the huge crowds always puts me off. The traffic's a nightmare.

IslandPearl said...

Thanks, ladies.

eque...I so wish that I could have captured the 'aura' of the Raptor when it accelerated. You could see the shockwave it generates, but my shutter finger just wasn't fast enough to get it.

K -- the traffic is horrific here too, which is the best motivator for our springing for the fancy seats: someplace to hang 'til the crowds disperse, and preferred parking!